- 30 ml whole coriander seeds
- 8 cardamom pods
- 8 onions – peeled
- 25 ml olive oil – for drizzling
- 1.50 kg leg of lamb
- 15 ml freshly ground coffee beans
- 10 ml turmeric
- 1 punnet small rosa tomatoes
- 15 ml Moroccan dukkah – to serve
- 25 ml lemon or lime preserve – to serve
Preheat oven to 160°C.
Dry-fry the coriander seeds and cardamom pods to release the flavour.
Slice the onions through the middle from top to bottom and drizzle with olive oil.
Drizzle the lamb with olive oil and rub the coffee, spices and freshly ground black pepper all over the meat. Place in a roasting pan along with the onions.
Roast covered for 45 mins and then uncovered for the remaining time in the oven. Total time 1-2 hours depending on the size of your roast.
Add the tomatoes about five minutes before the dish comes out of the oven. Serve with Moroccan dukkah and lemon preserve.
To braai: place in a medium heat weber /braai and cook to your liking 1-2 hours and depending on the size of your roast.